Threadripper vs Epyc – what’s the distinction? Although just a few years in the past, AMD appeared to have been relegated to the cut price bin, they now have two wonderful choices for prime demand workstation customers, HEDTs, and HPCs. For these customers, which is your best option?
Ryzen Threadripper Execs
With as much as 64 whole processing cores, Threadripper is primarily positioned as a workstation platform, greatest suited to excessive demand functions like video, skilled VFX, and rendering. Among the advantages embody:
- Core Frequency – Not like most excessive core depend processors, Threadripper runs a single core Increase pace of 4.3-4.5GHz vs round 3.2 for Epyc. This offers it the benefit in each closely threaded functions like Media & Leisure, but in addition single threaded functions like CAD and structure.
- Official Home windows Help – Since Epyc is primarily a datacenter platform, you’ll sometimes discover suitable motherboards with out official Home windows 10 assist. That’s to not say you possibly can’t run Home windows desktop model on an Epyc workstation – we’ve been doing it for years on our HD360A – however quite it takes some extra knowhow to correctly set up working drivers. Since Threadripper is a desktop platform with full Home windows driver assist, it is not going to require any extra data.
AMD Epyc Execs
Epyc is especially often called a server platform, however due to its excessive core depend, scalability, and general increased I/O bandwidth, we’re seeing many customers operating functions like Machine Studying and scientific simulations flip to the platform. Listed here are a few of these key advantages for that consumer:
- RAM Density/Channels – Most single socket Epyc motherboards will assist as much as 2TB of RAM in 8 channels, vs. 256GB in 4 channels with Threadripper. Although the intense majority of customers won’t ever want 256GB+, that’s an enormous profit for those who do.
- ECC Help – The Threadripper structure does assist ECC reminiscence, however TRX40 chipset doesn’t, so till a chipset refresh is on the market, Epyc (and Threadripper PRO) are the one AMD choices for full ECC assist.
- Scalability/Core Depend –Threadripper helps solely a single socket, however most Epycs assist twin CPU configurations, doubling the variety of potential cores to 128 and threads to 256 in addition to rising PCIe lanes and I/O capability. This stage of scalability is essential for probably the most CPU intensive functions or simulations.
- Safety – AMD’s trade main Infinity Guard is a collection of security measures that present an additional stage of encryption that Threadripper doesn’t.
What about WRX80 Threadripper PRO
AMD’s Threadripper PRO with WRX80 chipset is the latest product on this class, which in some methods combines the perfect of TRX40 Threadripper and Epyc. From a efficiency standpoint, Threadripper PRO aligns intently with commonplace Threadripper with comparable core counts and frequencies but in addition provides the ECC assist, extra RAM capability, and security measures that Epyc affords.
Threadripper vs Epyc – Which Ought to Professionals Use?
The reply will depend on the precise use case. Epyc’s effectivity and scalability together with AMD’s Infinity Guard security measures make it a greater match for servers than most workstation functions. Generally, Threadripper, with its increased core frequency and official Home windows 10 assist, is greatest for conventional workstation customers and functions.
That’s to not say that some skilled workstation customers gained’t see particular advantages with Epyc over Threadripper and even Threadripper Professional although. For customers searching for excessive RAM density options of 256GB+ which are extremely threaded sufficient to profit from greater than 128 threads – functions like Design and Simulation, Machine Studying, Climate, Analysis/Academia, and Computational Fluid Dynamics – there could also be sufficient efficiency profit to outweigh the extra expense of Epyc. However for all different workstation customers within the Media & Leisure, Structure, Engineering & Design, or comparable verticals, Threadripper simply has too many advantages to disregard.
Configure our AMD Threadripper Workstation HD80A now!
Josh has been with Velocity Micro since 2007 in numerous Advertising and marketing, PR, and Gross sales associated roles. Because the Director of Gross sales & Advertising and marketing, he’s answerable for all Direct and Retail gross sales in addition to Advertising and marketing actions. He enjoys Seinfeld reruns, the Atlanta Braves, and Beatles songs written by John, Paul, or George. Sorry, Ringo.