A triad of Sony Alpha cameras has been added to the Sony aps-c line up: the a6100, a6400, and a6600. All three cameras are extraordinary mirrorless cameras, feature-rich, and ship glorious picture high quality.
For those who’ve already determined the Sony a6600 is out of your attain and try to resolve between the Sony a6100 and the Sony a6400 , it’s a troublesome selection – they’re comparable and are available at virtually the identical value level.
Higher weather-resistant physique, bigger picture buffer and all-round higher video capabilities make the a6400 the higher selection in case your finances permits.
However don’t despair – there are just a few small, but vital variations between these two immensely in style mirrorless cameras.
Let’s check out what they’ve in frequent and, extra importantly, what units them aside.
Sony a6100 vs a6400: Frequent Options
The 2 cameras share
- the identical 24.2MP sensor and Exmor CMOS chip, in addition to an anti-aliasing filter and a front-end LSI element.
- the identical incredible hybrid autofocus system, which makes use of a mix of 425 phase-detection factors and 425 contrast-detection factors. It contains a remarkably quick focus acquisition time of 0.02s, Actual-Time monitoring for each stills and video, and AI and machine studying expertise.
- the flexibility to file 4K video as much as 30fps and 100Mbps, utilizing the whole width of the sensor. Each cameras have inside slow-motion recording capabilities that may do full HD as much as 120fps.
- 11fps steady capturing, together with AE/AF monitoring. (It goes all the way down to 8fps when the digital shutter is engaged.)
All that is to say that the efficiency of each of those cameras is nearly equivalent, particularly when capturing nonetheless photographs. (There are just a few variations in video, which I’ll cowl later within the article.)
Different options they share:
- 180-degree tilting LCD display screen with Contact Monitoring
- the Sony E mount
- a single SD card slot (UHS-I compliant)
- a built-in intervalometer for time-lapse capturing
- a built-in flash (GN6, ISO 100)
- glorious inside audio recording
- 3.5mm microphone port, permitting you to attach an exterior microphone
- the identical NP-FW50 rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack
- the most recent model of Sony’s menu system
- 8 operate buttons
One factor neither digicam has is in-body picture stabilization. You’ll must bump as much as the Sony a6600 for in-body stabilization.
Additionally, neither digicam has an optical viewfinder. They rely as an alternative on the digital viewfinder.
Sony a6100 vs a6400: 14 Key Variations
Shockingly comparable or not, there are just a few key variations between the
To start with, the Sony a6100 is extra of an entry-level mannequin, whereas the Sony a6400 comfortably sits within the mid-range mannequin area.
Let’s begin off with the bodily variations.
1. Digicam Physique
Maybe probably the most noticeable distinction between these two Sony cameras proper of the field is within the digicam physique. Each cameras have just about the identical dimensions, a tilting LCD display screen, and the identical format, however they’re made of various supplies.
The Sony a6100 is made primarily of polycarbonate, has no climate sealing, and is simply a hair lighter than the A6400 (396g).
The Sony a6400 has a extra sturdy magnesium alloy physique, primary climate sealing, and weighs in at 403g. (It’s unlikely that you simply’ll discover the 7g, however for some people, this is perhaps a major distinction.)
Relying on the lenses you employ with the a6100 or a6400, you might also need to take into account a further hand grip Sony accent, which can assist lots if you happen to have a tendency to connect heavier zooms to your digicam.
2. Shutter Life
The shutter lifetime of a digicam just about determines what number of photographs your digicam is sweet for.
Sony charges the mechanical shutter lifetime of the a6100 at 100,000 clicks. The Sony a6400, however, is rated for twice that, at 200,000 shutter cycles.
After all, the shutter score isn’t a assure that you simply’ll get to that picture rely earlier than needing shutter upkeep, but it surely does give an total estimate.
3. Digital Viewfinder Decision
Bodily, the viewfinder is similar on each cameras, that includes an 0.39-inch OLED panel, 0.70x magnification, and a 23mm eye-point.
In terms of decision, although, the EVF of the Sony a6100 is simply 1,440,000 dots, a bit low in a market the place the trade commonplace is often 2.4 million dots. In distinction, the Sony a6400, has a increased decision EVF of two,359,296 dots – rather more the norm.
Provided that neither digicam has an optical viewfinder, the upper decision of the a6400 could also be is fairly vital, particularly if you happen to’re keen on guide focus.
That’s just about it for bodily variations. Now let’s take a look at what the 2 cameras have beneath the hood.
The Sony a6400 has a barely quicker processor than the Sony a6100. This provides it a deeper buffer, extra prolonged ISO capability, and section detection autofocus whereas capturing video. It additionally offers it a barely shorter battery life.
5. Publicity Settings
Disclaimer: All suggestions are neutral and primarily based on person expertise, with no bias to the merchandise or the model. The merchandise on this put up could include affiliate hyperlinks.